The ONLY way to NEVER have your kids say I'M BORED again!
Your kids are sitting on the couch, that winey, wingey noise is starting to come out of their mouths. It can’t possibly be food again, although there is still a good chance it could be.
You know that sound though and you wait for those dreaded words……
“Muuuuum, I’m Booorrred!”
Yep, those are the words that every Mum hates to hear and yet, we continue to hear them over and over.
But wait, you remember seeing a blog from Three Hearts Photography and Julie is about to save your day, (and maybe the rest of your Iso).
Don’t believe me? Read on and find out……
I have put together the BEST collection of I’M BORED activities for your kids. And the best part about this, is that once you set it up, you will never have to deal with the I’M BORED wine ever again!
I have seen this done many ways, but I chose to use materials I had around the house, rather than go out and buy new things. So here is what you need….
A large pencil Case
Some Coloured Cardboard
A Texta or Pen
Sounds simple so far right?
Now this is how to make an “I’M BORED” Activity Bag…
Take the coloured cardboard and cut them into strips, approximately 1.5cms wide and 10-20cms long. (Note, this is only a guide and you can make them as big or small as you like).
Once you have a collection of 100 pieces of paper cut up, then you can write down one of the following activities on each piece of cardboard. Once you have written an activity on the cardboard, then place it inside the Pencil case.
So here they are, the MUST HAVE activity Collection so your kids will NEVER say I'M BORED again!
- Do puzzles
- Read a Book
- Make a video about someone in your family
- Go on a Scavenger Hunt
- Write a letter to a friend
- Write a letter to a family member
- Clean your room
- Watch some Animal shows from the Zoo
- Do some craft
- Write a speech, practice it and perform it
- Write an information report about your favourite animal
- Play a board game with your brother/sister
- Go through your toys and choose one to give to Good Will
Do a Bluey Activity off their Website
- Call a Friend
- Make a compost bin
- Write a letter to someone to say thank you
- Make a video report about a family holiday
- Paint a picture
- Make Playdough
- Do Stamping
- Climb fences
- Play princesses
- Draw of paint a picture of your house
- Have some quiet time
- Play outside
- Ride your bike
- Paint your nails
- Make a card for someone you love
- Fold some washing
- Do some colouring in
- Watch a movie
Do PE with PE Joe
- Call a family member and talk to them
- Watch some home movies
- Clean the sliding door/window
- Water the Garden
- Play with your Pet
- Build a house with Lego
Complete the Lego challenge with Keiran
- Play dress-ups
- Write a story about a Cat wearing yellow boots
Learn some Yoga on Youtube
- Make a Poster for a family special occasion
- Set up an art gallery with some of your artwork
- Learn a new song
- Play on the Trampoline
- Play in the Cubby House
- Put on a concert.
- Build a cubby inside
- Play Dolls
- Play with a toy you haven’t played with in a long time
- Play in the sandpit
- Write a story about your dream holiday
- Play on the Ipad/tablet for 1 hour
- Take some photos of you and your sister/brother doing something funny.
- Empty the dishwasher
- Tidy up the loungeroom
- Help Mummy or Daddy
- Pull some weeds out of the Garden
- 1 Hour of Play Station (or similar)
- Play ball outside
- Complete an art project
- Go for a walk
- Build something with wood, hammer and nails
- Play UNO
- Wash the Car
- Have a tea party
- Sweep the floor
- Catch Butterflies
- Go on a bug hunt
- Search for worms in the garden
- Brush the dog (pet)
- Pretend to visit the beach
- Play cars
- Make a video about YOU
Learn the alphabet in sign language
- Do some Ballet, Hip Hop, Rap, Jazz, Rock and Roll, Dancing
- Chalk drawing
- Make a pretend shop and go shopping
- Play footy in the backyard
Learn to fold origami
- Help cook dinner
- Check the letter box
Make a pair of binoculars using toilet rolls
- Make an obstacle course in the backyard & run around the Course
- Make a fairy garden
- Have some quiet time in your room
Watch a story time on the Library Facebook Page
- Act out your favourite Bluey episode (or favourite tv show)
- Make your own story time and read to your younger sibling
- Photo Scavenger Hunt
- Count the money in your piggy bank (younger children can make matching piles of the coins)
- Build a car out of Lego
- Have a tea party with your stuffed toys
- Play Nerf or build a target and hit it with a ball
- Listen to some music
Once you have these 100 Activities in your house, then you will be surprised how just how often you DON’T hear those dreaded words again.
I started this during our last Lockdown when I heard “I’M BORED” all the time, and I think I might have heard it once or twice since then.
It also puts up a barrier to stop them saying I’m bored and start looking for things to do for themselves because they know if they pull out…. “unload the dishwasher” I am sure as heck going to make them unload the dishwasher. And there is no swappsies! What you pull out the first time, is what you HAVE to do!
I hope you enjoy these activities and it helps you and your kids over the coming weeks to fight the boredom and the need to always be on their screens. There is so much more to do.
Good luck Mummas! You got this!!!!
Enjoy. Stay Safe and Stay Healthy.
Thank you for reading.